An unrelenting passion for awesome bass performance and engineering perfection guided every aspect of the SB16-Ultra subwoofer’s design. Groundbreaking technology, rigorous design and extreme testing in real world and laboratory environments allowed SVS to achieve massive output levels, extreme low frequency extension, near-perfect frequency response accuracy, and pinpoint transient response. The culmination of all SVS design advancements, SB16-Ultra represents the greatest leap forward in performance and innovation since the inception of subwoofers.
The new 16-Ultra Series are the biggest and most powerful SVS subwoofers ever built and the culmination of all SVS engineering advancements, but that’s only part of the story.SVS designed a completely new driver, amplifier and cabinet, scrutinized every design element and pioneered 3 game-changing subwoofer innovations to achieve unprecedented output levels, extreme low frequency extension, near-perfect frequency response accuracy, and pinpoint transient response.
One of these innovations would’ve made the 16-Ultra Series an engineering tour-de-force, but the combination of 3 subwoofer firsts and all new driver, amplifier and control platforms propel the SB16-Ultra and PB16-Ultra into the pantheon of all-time great audio products.
Masterful Engineering. 3 Game-Changing Innovations.
Massive All New 16” Ultra Driver With Unprecedented 8” Edge Wound Voice Coil.
When designing the biggest and most formidable driver ever used in an SVS subwoofer, it was of utmost importance to meet or exceed the same supreme standards of control and accuracy as every other subwoofer SVS manufactures. One huge advancement that allows the SB16-Ultra to handle the crushing force of a 16” driver is the 8” edge wound voice coil, the largest ever deployed in a consumer subwoofer. This innovation ensures ultra-low distortion and pinpoint control at the highest drive levels resulting in incredible output and low frequency extension. By nature, larger drivers are more difficult to control, but the unprecedented voice coil design ensures accuracy in frequency response and speed in transients without ever sounding boomy.
Pushing the driver are four massive, dedicated toroidal ferrite magnets that unleash a staggering 78mm peak to peak excursion and the highest levels of motor force and palpable SPLs. The light and rigid 16” Ultra driver cone consists of a premium fiberglass resin composite with optimal stiffness to mass ratio to maximize movement of air and sonic energy without ever distorting or losing control.
Conservatively rated at 1,500 watts continuous, 5,000+ watts peak power, the PB16-Ultra Sledge STA-1500D amplifier’s 64 Amp 200-Volt MOSFETs are the sonic muscle behind arguably the most powerful and highest fidelity subwoofer amplifier ever developed. Discrete MOSFET output unbridles the nearly limitless power in the Sledge amplifier and pushes the 16” driver to extreme levels of performance. They also represent an upgrade over the less robust integrated circuit output stages found in nearly all other Class D subwoofer amplifiers.
Effortless power must be harnessed to ensure refined behavior and pristine output at the most demanding drive levels. To achieve this, the PB16-Ultra subwoofer uses the audio industry’s most advanced 50 MHz Analog Devices Audio DSP with 56bit filtering to handle the nearly limitless power, only unleashing the perfect amount of low frequency energy at just the right time.
Groundbreaking New Subwoofer Control And Bass Management Smartphone App For Apple® And Android® Devices.
Compatible with Apple® and Android® platforms, the innovative PB16-Ultra smartphone app unleashes the full depth, force and nuance of the world’s finest subwoofer. The groundbreaking SVS subwoofer app controls all DSP functions and conveniently stores custom presets. It’s the easiest way ever to fine tune bass surpassing 16Hz at reference volumes from the comfort of your favorite seat.
For added convenience, 2-way feedback shows updates in real time on both the app and subwoofer interface and Bluetooth connectivity allows adjustments to be made even when the subwoofer is not in sight. Control is also available via IR remote and an intuitive front panel display.
ACOUSTICALLY INERT, RIGIDLY BRACED CABINET
A subwoofer capable of creating such extreme levels of sonic energy requires a formidable cabinet design. The PB16-Ultra is built with a double thick MDF front baffle and rigid internal bracing to support the massive drive unit and to ensure an acoustically inert environment. The highly reinforced internal design eliminates any chance of coloration or resonance from the cabinet, even when the deepest low frequencies are played at reference sound pressure levels.
AMPLIFIER 1,500 watts RMS (5,000+ watts peak)
2-meter ground plane away from reflective structures (quasi-anechoic).
Roll-off slope specifically optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain
16-460Hz ±3 dB
- Black Oak and Piano Gloss Black finish options
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
- Front-firing 16" driver
- Rear-mounted amplifier
- Screw-in rubber feet
- Robust Medium Density Fiberboard(MDF) cabinet construction
- Cabinet Dimensions (w/ grill): 57cm H X 50 W X 58 D
- Shipped Dimensions: 63cm H X 64 W X 77 D
- Weight (unboxed): 55kg
- Shipped Weight: 66kg
- SVS 16” Ultra-series driver
- Powder-coated cast aluminum basket
- Four high-grade ferrite magnets
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA)-optimized motor structure
- Dual shorting rings reduce gap induction and lower distortion
- Extended pole piece improves heat sink and thermal management properties
- 8” diameter, high-power edge wound voice coil
- Upgraded Nomex spider for improved linearity and driver control at extreme drive levels
- Dual 24-strand copper and Nomex composite high-temperature leads provide a pristine electrical connection from the amplifier to the voice coil
- Premium glass fiber laminated dustcap and reinforced composite cone sub-structure ensure a light, ridged, and neutral radiating surface
- Low-creep rubber long-throw surround for excellent durability and longevity
- Sledge STA-1500D DSP amplifier
- 1,500 watts RMS continuous (5,000+ watts peak dynamic)
- Efficient and cool-running Class D topology
- High resolution 50Mhz Analog Devices Audio DSP with double precision 56bit filtering is most advanced subwoofer processor available for perfect audio reproduction
- Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) ensures the cleanest 1500W output regardless of your home mains supply
- XLR and RCA stereo input/output with ultra-wide input voltage for consumer and professional audio applications
- Convenient front-mounted display with subwoofer controls and 8 digit LED display
- Groundbreaking Subwoofer Control and Bass Management Smartphone App for Apple and Android Devices
- IR Remote Control
- Three user adjustable parametric EQs
- Continuously variable volume/gain control
- Continuously variable (0-180 degrees) phase control
- Continuously variable (30-200 Hz) 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/octave low pass filter frequency with disable/LFE setting
- Main power rocker switch
- Auto-On / On / Trigger Controls
- 3-12V trigger with 1/8” (3.5 mm) TRS mini-jack input
- Green standby mode with > 0.5 watts consumption
- Input impedance 22kohm (RCA)/ 22kohm (XLR).
- RoHS compliant, lead-free construction and world-wide safety certifications
- Detachable power cord
Customer Reviews (2)
- The SB16-Ultra is a truly impressive creation that delivers bass reproduction unlike anything else out there.Review by hometheatrereview
http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-sb16-ultra-subwoofer-reviewed/ (Posted on 18/01/2017)
- Very impressedReview by Westy
After reading information it was just to tempting not to go for the new bigger brother due to specs and raves by reviewers that have yet to even test this beast!
So as temptation and the love for accurate base got the better of me and purchased the SB16 three days ago.
Out of the box this SB16 is heavy, and in piano black is simply stunning. Yes big, even for the SB version, and dwarfs the Sb13 for size and weight. As these subs take time to bed in driver, I just plugged and set round -10DB. Interesting that my receiver with both the SB13 and Sb16 positioned Sb13 a further 100 mm back even though same distance to mic, which equates to Sb16 hitting mic faster even though just out of box and expect this sub to get even faster and better over a six to twelve months operation.
It took a good six months for the SB13 to really show its ability and expect SB16 to take similar time , however I could hear the deeper and more precise base from the SB16 already which is pretty amazing considering SB13 is just divine in delivery and level of punch!
I listen primarily to music, about 90%, and it was difficult to find sub that could deliver the precise accurate base required to make your music really sing. After I got SB13 a year ago I had to listen to all my music again as just so much fuller and warmer to listen to. I would say this is also the case for SB16 , and looking forward to listening to all my tracks with new SB16. I have no doubt that PB16 would be just as loud but really wanted the tight base sound that sealed subs can only deliver with music. Plus PB version will require a space that is big enough for it to fit in!
My receiver had sub blending with Keff mains, and just made them sound bigger and brighter. Thing is you can run amp volume low and not lose any base level or clarity which is hard for any sub when power is dropped.
I tired the SB16 with blue ray, star trek movie, and I may have to move in next door as it clearly shook the house and could see ranch slider glass moving. Thing is its so clean and will play whatever frequency it is delivered without any fade and guess again that it will get better once the driver has run in.
So if for home theater use , you will not be disappointed and suggest you will be turning this beast down to keep the rest of the family happy.
If you like strong accurate clean base, then I reckon you will struggle to find any sub here in NZ that has same technical advances at same price.
Sure not yet tested by overseas reviewers, however they are all dying to test from remarks I read.The SB13 won so many awards and has been rated as one of the best for a couple of years. If so then I suspect that the new Sb16 will get even better reviews.
Phone app is brilliant and allows to make adjustments on the fly. I have yet to hook up sound meter and run test tone to graph the subs outputs.
The parametric equaliser in app will allow me to smooth out any dips or peaks however is something that I will do once sub has had many hours to settle in driver.
So as I have SB13 I was able to direct comparison with Sb straight out of box and verdic is its better, which is hard to believe when Sb13 is just amazing to begin with.
So thanks SVS and Rapallo as I now have sub that is clearly in a class of its own and guess that other manufacturers will try to copy the ground breaking driver and voice coil , not to mention cabinet finish, app and serious amp attached.
Can't say I have direct comparison with Velodine DD series or the JL audio subs, but I believe that this sub will beat them for performance, price and technology without doubt.
I will write another review once I have fully tested this beast in a few months time to let the audiophiles know what the curve came out like .
I gather by this time the US reviewers will have done their comprehensive tests, which should be interesting!
At the end of the day as with any speaker, you do your homework but has to sound as you would like to hear. Yes slightly bias as I have bought it now, but i was so impressed with Sb13 I had no doubt that SVS would produce nothing less, and have what I believe is an even better sub now with SB16.
So impressed I would love a second one, just for the hell of it, but budget will have to wait another year! lol! So if you like base like I do, then go for it, and I doubt you will be disappointed at all, in fact like me you will want more! (Posted on 19/12/2016)
Write Your Own Review
Why buy from us?
Why buy from us?
Rapallo is an independently owned New Zealand company and with more than 12 years experience, we offer you both technical expertise and superior service.
Rapallo is fully authorized to sell products by all of the manufacturers listed on our website and in our store. In most cases we are more than a reseller, we are a direct dealer who also receives training and where possible we personally test products we sell.
Authorized dealers like us offer peace of mind. Rapallo:
- Meets manufacturer's standards, from sales to service, in order to receive authorized status.
- Often receives training directly from manufacturer representatives and shares that expertise with you.
- Provides support for all the products they sell.
- Ensures that manufacturer warranties will be honoured.
- Buys directly from big brand manufacturers and guarantee you buy NZ new, (NO GREY IMPORTS OR PARALLEL IMPORTS).
The Internet is an incredibly convenient information source and a wonderful way to find savings on the products you want. Protect yourself online by buying from authorized dealers, with genuine feedback and reputations.
A price too good to be true, usually is.
If you've ever searched for a product on a shopping engine (such as Priceme/Pricespy) you may have asked yourself, "Why are some stores charging so much less than other stores?"
Our customers often share these stories with us, so we thought we would share a few with you, in hopes that you don't fall prey to any of these unscrupulous sales tactics.
- Goods may be grey market/parallel imported. They may state that the product includes the manufacturer warranty, but not tell you that the warranty is valid only in Europe, Japan, or South America, and NOT in NZ.
- You may be asked to buy an expensive extended warranty. In many cases if you do not purchase the warranty, your purchase will be denied. (The product is now out of stock, your card does not go through, etc.)
- Included parts may be sold to you separately. Some resellers will open boxes and charge extra for parts that are normally included by the manufacturer.
- Hidden charges which don't show up until your credit card statement arrives, these charges only show up when your credit card statement is sent to you.
- When something goes wrong, faulty, late delivery, doesn’t matter how many times you try to email, they don’t get back.
- There are so many scamming online sellers today, “buyer beware” protect yourself!
Think you have a better price? Call us for the best deal.
Call us 09 2744515
Concerned About Fraud?
The internet has become a more popular source for online shopping, regrettably we have seen more and more instances of fraud affecting online shoppers. Companies trading under many different names, loading warranties and charging for them as extras when often they are included from the manufacturer. Parallel imports or personal imports where the NZ supplier refuses to repair when things go wrong is often alarming to the unsuspecting purchaser. Inflated freight charges, customs and GST at the border are often forgotten as a buyer is tempted by a lower price. Constantly we hear all these stories, once bitten it’s all to late looking for that refund or replacement. The stories are outrageous at times, customers from Trademe and ebay with no place to turn, time consuming and very frustrating….
So how do you protect yourself from online fraud?
- Buy from an authorized reseller. If you are at all suspicious, contact the manufacturer directly and ask if a company is authorized to sell their products.
- Make sure you get a company invoice with GST clearly marked.
- Make sure you buy from someone who has a phone number and an address on their website, not a P.O.Box number
- Read customer feedback, you can usually tell if it's genuine or not.
We hope that you will become our next happy customer. And we promise to offer you superior service before, during and after your purchase.