“When I say this is NOT just All-Round DAP, I really mean it. As a reviewer, I get a chance to test and to compare many different DAPs. So, when people ask me “what is your favorite DAP”, I don’t have a simple answer but certainly do pick one of the flagship choices. But when you are a consumer on a budget, looking to buy a new DAP, you are faced with many choices and a hard decision to pick one. That’s where you start looking for the best value to suite your needs.
So, if your needs don’t include the streaming or app support, and if you want something portable on the go without a requirement to drive more demanding headphones, Cowon Plenue R is one heck of a value. You get 128GB of internal storage with 256GB (and possibly 400GB) uSD expansion. You get Bluetooth with aptX codec support. 2.5mm TRRS balanced and 3.5mm single ended and Optical output. Very responsive touch screen with customizable GUI, a ton of Setting options, and fantastic JetEffect dsp effects. And on top of that, 16-17 hours of battery life.
There are many DAP choices out there, and mid-fi market is starting to get saturated with players that cost less than PR. But when you are deciding on your next DAP, make sure you don’t just look at the price, but also compare everything else it has to offer. In case of Plenue R, it offers a lot!”
The COWON Plenue R is a versatile, super-HD, Hi-Fi sound music player. It comes with:
- High-quality Bluetooth aptX
- A responsive touchscreen
- 128 GB High speed internal memory
- 17-hour playback
- MicroSD card slot
- Durable metal body
- 192 kHz high-resolution sound
- Sound source display LED light
- SoundPlus high-performance amplifier, and more
The difference between the COWON Plenue R and other sound music players becomes obvious even from the first usage. Equipped with the PCM5242 digital-to-analog converter, which is designed for high-end hi-fi audio systems the COWON Plenue R provides the best quality of sound.
The COWON Plenue R also features the latest hyper-advanced architecture from Texas Instruments to ensure a high-definition resolution in not only DXD but DSD sources as well. The high-performance SoundPlus amplifier from Texas Instruments provides:
- High voltage while still maintaining the highest level of linearity
- Powerful performance that is able to drive top quality headphones without a separate headphone amplifier necessary
- Precise sound turning that allows any frequency range in combination with a variety of receivers to be clearly expressed.
The COWON Plenue R makes it possible for it to be used with any set of headphones, speakers, and earphones, as long as they have Bluetooth support, and JetEffect 7’s application ensures an acoustic field via Bluetooth that is very powerful, giving the best music experience.
The Plenue R provides an ample 128GB of storage for your high-resolution audio files, and even gives you the ability to expand that with an (optional) microSD card (up to 256GB). Controlling audio settings and playback can be done on the built-in 3.7″ AMOLED touch display, or you can utilize physical side buttons that operate power, volume, playback, and search. When playing your audio files, the color-changing LED indicator lets you know the type you’re listening to at a glance, such as normal audio, HD, or DSD/DXD sound.
JetEffect 7 Sound Control
Take full control of your audio experience with a 10-band EQ filter, BBE+, and more. You can set up to 16 different presets or experience any of the 50 different reference presets.
- 10 Band EQ Filter: Advanced settings to adjust the frequency and width of each band
- BBE+: High-definition effects to sharpen sound (phase correction)
- Mach3Bass: Bass booster to enhance super low-end bass
- 3D Surround: Three-dimensional sound for an enhanced sense of space
- MP Enhance: Compensates lost sound segments
- Chorus Mode: 8 different sound effects that enrich your audio (Chorus 1/2/3, Unison 1/2, and Flange 1/2/3)
- Reverb Mode: 9 different sound effects for enhanced realism (Chamber, Room, Club, Hall, Auditorium, Cathedral, Stadium, Canyon, and Long)
Four Premium DAC Filters
Normal, low latency, high attenuation, and asymmetric FIR DAC filters are provided to let you fine tune your audio and implement transient signal responses.
High-resolution album art, matrix browser, six sophisticated player skins, and three level meter skins all combine to provide different visual looks to your display. In addition, A variety of GUIs can be created through a UCI environment that lets you customize different interface layouts.
TCXO (Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator)
TCXO is designed to minimize the difference in sampling rates due to the change in temperature, providing phase jitter of 1.0ps.
The Plenue R supports the following audio codes: AIFF, FLAC, APE, WAV, MP3, WA, TTA, DXD (352.8/384 kHz), and DSD128 (5.64 MHz)
140-Level Volume Control
Listen to your high-resolution audio at the precise volume level that you desire, thanks to Plenue R’s 140 different volume level adjustments. You can hold down the volume button to change settings quickly, or dial in the perfect setting in 0.5dB increments.
- Optical output (S/PDIF) audio output
- USB DAC function that lets you use the Plenue R as an external DAC on your PC
- Cortex A9 1.2 GHz dual core CPU
- Embedded Linux system
- Support for 5 lyric formats, such as LRC, LDB, Lyrics3, and ID3 Tag lyrics
- Gapless and Remove Silence functions to minimize the wait between tracks
- Multi-Favorite allows you to save tracks into different playlists
- Search function lets you use an on-screen keyboard to find the track you want
- 2-Channel Level Meter in digital and analog that moves dynamically with your music