REVIEW – WHAT HI-FI
“…This player treats low-frequency tones, such as the drumbeat, with the weight and punch they deserve.
There are times when they thwack into your ears with a definitive kick, but the Plenue J doesn’t overstep the mark when it comes to sounds higher up the frequency range by trying to make them bigger than they are.
Switching to Unbelievers by Vampire Weekend, Ezra Koenig’s singing in the midrange comes across clearly and with insight. The natural sibilance in his delivery is recognisable without being overstated, and midway through the song when the rest of the instruments drop out – leaving just Koenig’s voice and an uptempo drumbeat – both elements are balanced nicely.
The Plenue J manages to keep instruments separate and present them spaciously, while still delivering the song as a cohesive whole. The distance between voice and drumbeat is palpable, but you never lose the sense it’s building to a crescendo in the climactic chorus.
The Verdict – With their very similar sound and price, choosing between the Cowon Plenue J or the smaller Plenue D comes down in large part to personal preference about design. The Plenue J is easier to use, has more built-in storage and is slimmer, whereas the Plenue D has a bigger battery and is £40 cheaper. Ultimately, if the J tickles your fancy, you’re not going to be disappointed by the way it delivers your songs.”
In short, the Plenue J can be encapsulated with the following descriptions:
Pure, uncompromised listening
Long-lasting battery life
Engineered to perfection
Numerous commendable features
Unprecedented sound resolution
Jeteffect 5 for refined audio
The matchless sound that transcends clarity is the hallmark of Cowon’s Plenue J. The 24-bit DAC is the driving force behind this refined audio performance. To provide listeners with an experience that goes “well beyond all expectations”, Cowon felt compelled to implement the 24-bit DAC and give quality audio a whole new meaning. The 24-bit DAC, coupled with JetEffect 5 & BBE+, makes for a crisp, undistorted, top-notch audio journey.
Not 30, not 40, but a remarkable 53 hours of non-stop listening can be had with the Plenue J. Longevity is the cornerstone of any successful listening component, and Cowon did not miss the mark. This long-lasting battery life can be attributed to Plenue J’s “power-saving circuit design.”
Above all else, the Plenue J has an undeniable aesthetic appeal. Described as having a “cylindrical” design approach, Cowon wanted the Plenue J to embody a rounded, elegant outline. The Jupiter Gold and Misty Ocean colour options further highlight Plenue J’s refined essence.
- Memory: Built-in 64GB / External microSD card Max 128GB
- Display: 2.8″ Wide Angle Touch LCD (240×320)
- Size: 53.2mm(W) x 102mm(H) x 9.2mm(D)
- Weight: 78g
- File Format: FLAC / WAV / AIFF / ALAC / APE / MP3 / WMA / OGG
- Battery: Playback Approx 53 hrs (MP3 128kbps) 27 hrs (24 bit, 96kHz, FLAC)
- Charge Time: Approx 2 hrs
- Output: 3.5mm
- Player: Matrix browser, Multi-Favorite
- System Requirement: CPU Pentium III 500MHz or higher, OS WIN 10/ 8/ 7/ Vista/ XP/ 2000/ ME (All functions supported) MAC OS10/ Linusv2.4 or higher (File transfer supported), USB 2.0 High Speed Recommended
- In the box: Plenue J, Micro USB Cable, Quick Guide, Warranty
- Available in 2 different colors, Misty Ocean and Jupiter Gold.