Jason Liao the CTO for OPPO Digital confirmed that OPPO is hard at work getting the UDP-203 ready for release, and there will also be a UDP-205 coming at a later date. Here are some of the details that Jason revealed at CEDIA:
"The UDP-203 is going to be our first Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player. It will continue to be a universal player supporting DVD-Audio and SACD, just like our current generation of players. Comparing it to the BDP-103 that we currently have, the UDP-203 adds UHD 4K Blu-ray support. There will still be two HDMI output ports, with the main port being HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 for audio and video output, and an audio-only HDMI 1.4 port to connect to A/V receivers that do not support UHD or HDCP 2.2. The player will support HDR and HDR-to-SDR conversion."
The UDP-203 is going to be our first Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player. It will continue to be a universal player supporting DVD-Audio and SACD, just like our current generation of players. Comparing it to the BDP-103 that we currently have, the UDP-203 adds UHD 4K Blu-ray support. There will still be two HDMI output ports, with the main port being HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 for audio and video output, and an audio-only HDMI 1.4 port to connect to A/V receivers that do not support UHD or HDCP 2.2.
The player will support HDR and HDR-to-SDR conversion. There is an HDMI 2.0a input port on the back for connecting other video sources, such as a Roku Streaming Stick or Chromecast through the player. There are three USB 3.0 ports for media file playback, one on the front and two on the back. Network connections are Gigabit Ethernet and built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi. We are also keeping the 7.1ch analog, coaxial and optical digital audio output, RS-232 for control, and adding trigger in/out for system integration.
The player will maintain our tradition of providing accurate and high-quality audio/video output from all sources. We are focusing our engineering resources on disc and file playback, so there will be no streaming apps like Netflix or TIDAL, at least when the player is initially released. Some customers may find this reducing the value of the product, and we understand that. Overall we still believe that the UDP-203 will be a great player for those looking for the best performance for their discs and media files.
Oppo takes the same no-holds-barred approach on the inside too. The brains of the player is a new SoC (System on Chip) developed with MediaTek, which delivers "advanced image processing". The UDP-203 is the first player of its kind to use this chipset.
Its advanced processing also makes the UDP-203 technically capable of supporting Dolby Vision playback, although it isn't yet certified. Oppo is "in talks" with Dolby, so for now it’s a case of watch this space, but it's good to see a player built with this capability in mind.
There’s a custom-made 4K disc loader with an optimised laser mechanism for fast disc loading, error-free playback and wide disc compatibility. That includes UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray (2D & 3D), DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, CD and AVCHD discs.
Over the years, Oppo’s disc players have been celebrated for their audio quality almost as much as their video prowess, and the UDP-203 shows no signs of letting that slide.
It’s endowed with a premium 8-channel, 32-bit DAC from AKM (4458), with support for PCM, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC and WAV up to 384kHz/32-bit, plus 2-channel DSD256 and multi-channel DSD64/128. The deck also supports Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
The UDP-203 can also be used as a media streamer via built-in dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 and 5.0GHz) or Ethernet. It will play AVI, MKV, MOV, M2TS/TS, MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF, ALAC, APE, DSD, FLAC and WAV from DLNA/SMB servers on a network. It also plays media from HDDs up to 16TB plugged into a USB port.
The only snag is that the UDP-203 doesn’t offer any video streaming from services such as Amazon or Netflix. This isn't a huge issue given that most new TVs have these services built in – but even so, it’s one area in which Oppo’s rivals have the upper hand.
The Oppo players can be modified for all DVD regions easily. The process is simple, just burn this .iso file on to a CD-R and play it in the OPPO. It will take a few seconds to read it and will auto eject. Then you're done.
Find latest Firmware here
Write Your Own Review
Why buy from us?
Why buy from us?
Rapallo is an independently owned New Zealand company and with more than 12 years experience, we offer you both technical expertise and superior service.
Rapallo is fully authorized to sell products by all of the manufacturers listed on our website and in our store. In most cases we are more than a reseller, we are a direct dealer who also receives training and where possible we personally test products we sell.
Authorized dealers like us offer peace of mind. Rapallo:
- Meets manufacturer's standards, from sales to service, in order to receive authorized status.
- Often receives training directly from manufacturer representatives and shares that expertise with you.
- Provides support for all the products they sell.
- Ensures that manufacturer warranties will be honoured.
- Buys directly from big brand manufacturers and guarantee you buy NZ new, (NO GREY IMPORTS OR PARALLEL IMPORTS).
The Internet is an incredibly convenient information source and a wonderful way to find savings on the products you want. Protect yourself online by buying from authorized dealers, with genuine feedback and reputations.
A price too good to be true, usually is.
If you've ever searched for a product on a shopping engine (such as Priceme/Pricespy) you may have asked yourself, "Why are some stores charging so much less than other stores?"
Our customers often share these stories with us, so we thought we would share a few with you, in hopes that you don't fall prey to any of these unscrupulous sales tactics.
- Goods may be grey market/parallel imported. They may state that the product includes the manufacturer warranty, but not tell you that the warranty is valid only in Europe, Japan, or South America, and NOT in NZ.
- You may be asked to buy an expensive extended warranty. In many cases if you do not purchase the warranty, your purchase will be denied. (The product is now out of stock, your card does not go through, etc.)
- Included parts may be sold to you separately. Some resellers will open boxes and charge extra for parts that are normally included by the manufacturer.
- Hidden charges which don't show up until your credit card statement arrives, these charges only show up when your credit card statement is sent to you.
- When something goes wrong, faulty, late delivery, doesn’t matter how many times you try to email, they don’t get back.
- There are so many scamming online sellers today, “buyer beware” protect yourself!
Think you have a better price? Call us for the best deal.
Call us 09 2744515
Concerned About Fraud?
The internet has become a more popular source for online shopping, regrettably we have seen more and more instances of fraud affecting online shoppers. Companies trading under many different names, loading warranties and charging for them as extras when often they are included from the manufacturer. Parallel imports or personal imports where the NZ supplier refuses to repair when things go wrong is often alarming to the unsuspecting purchaser. Inflated freight charges, customs and GST at the border are often forgotten as a buyer is tempted by a lower price. Constantly we hear all these stories, once bitten it’s all to late looking for that refund or replacement. The stories are outrageous at times, customers from Trademe and ebay with no place to turn, time consuming and very frustrating….
So how do you protect yourself from online fraud?
- Buy from an authorized reseller. If you are at all suspicious, contact the manufacturer directly and ask if a company is authorized to sell their products.
- Make sure you get a company invoice with GST clearly marked.
- Make sure you buy from someone who has a phone number and an address on their website, not a P.O.Box number
- Read customer feedback, you can usually tell if it's genuine or not.
We hope that you will become our next happy customer. And we promise to offer you superior service before, during and after your purchase.