Three years ago at CES 2014, Chord Electronics unveiled a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amp that became a landmark product in the audio landscape. Recent advances in digital technology have enabled Chord to introduce the next-generation version: Hugo 2.
The new device has been comprehensively upgraded while ensuring continuity with the much-loved original. It introduces the latest proprietary Chord Electronics FPGA technology giving cutting-edge technical and sonic performance, plus exciting new features.
Sleek new aircraft-grade aluminium casework
Featuring a newly designed precision-machined aircraft-grade aluminium case, Hugo 2 is distinct from its predecessor with its sharper, lower profile design and four spherical control buttons. The spheres, which are top-mounted to allow for possible future expansion side- modules, illuminate with colour-coding information and control power, input, filtering and crossfeed functions. The top-mounted volume-control sphere has been retained and made larger for more intuitive operation.
The stylish new design and additional functionality has been introduced in anticipation of greater indoor use within both desktop and conventional home audio systems, despite Hugo 2’s obvious portability. The inclusion of a full-function remote control adds further flexibility and the practical line-level output mode of the original has also been retained.
New levels of technical performance
The latest FPGA and advanced WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters have been implemented in the Hugo 2, bringing a wide variety of performance improvements in a number of areas. Performance gains have been made in timing accuracy, noise reduction, headphone amp power and dynamic range.
Four digital inputs
Hugo 2’s connections and switches now feature laser-ablated function-lettering for
improved ease-of-use. The device offers four digital inputs (optical, coaxial and HD USB) plus extended-range Bluetooth, with high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to
DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and
6.35mm headphone outputs.
User-selectable filtering option
A four-function switch filter, operated by its own control sphere, offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control.
For headphone-listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and offers three operation modes from its dedicated control sphere. The system cross-feeds a partial 400 millisecond-delayed and shaped signal from each left and right output to the opposite channel. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Battery life improved
Battery playing time is around seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are now included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port: fast (1.8 amperes) and slow (less than one ampere). An indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
Lower distortion, better output stage
New digital DC servos have replaced the inline capacitors in the original output stages and reduce distortion further while improving the power-drive performance and capability of
the output stage. An element of switch-on delay has resulted, but the performance benefits were felt to outweigh the disadvantage.
• 1x Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192kHz-capable
• 1x RCA coaxial input 24-bit/384kHz-capable
• 1x HD USB input 32-bit/768kHz and DSD512-capable
• 1x aptX Bluetooth (extended range)
• 1x 3.5mm headphone jack
• 1x 6.35mm (1/4 inch) headphone jack
• 1x (pair) stereo RCA phono output
• Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
• Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.0001% 1kHz 3V RMS 300 ohms
• THD and noise at 3V RMS Ref 5.3V: 120dB @ 1kHz 300 ohms A Wt
• Noise 2.6 uV A Wt: no measurable noise floor modulation
• Signal to noise ratio: 126dB A-weighted
• Channel separation: 135dB @ 1kHz 300 ohms
• Maximum output level (to clipping at 1% distortion): 94 mW 300 ohms; 740 mW 33 ohms; 1050 mW (8)
• Output impedance: 25 milliohms (0.025 ohms)
• Advanced digital volume control
• Crossfeed filter network
• Four-stage frequency-shaping filter
• Fast-charging batteries via Micro USB giving around 7 hours operation
• 49,195K tap-length filter (near double the original the Hugo)
Write Your Own Review
Why buy from us?
Why buy from us?
Rapallo is an independently owned New Zealand company and with more than 12 years experience, we offer you both technical expertise and superior service.
Rapallo is fully authorized to sell products by all of the manufacturers listed on our website and in our store. In most cases we are more than a reseller, we are a direct dealer who also receives training and where possible we personally test products we sell.
Authorized dealers like us offer peace of mind. Rapallo:
- Meets manufacturer's standards, from sales to service, in order to receive authorized status.
- Often receives training directly from manufacturer representatives and shares that expertise with you.
- Provides support for all the products they sell.
- Ensures that manufacturer warranties will be honoured.
- Buys directly from big brand manufacturers and guarantee you buy NZ new, (NO GREY IMPORTS OR PARALLEL IMPORTS).
The Internet is an incredibly convenient information source and a wonderful way to find savings on the products you want. Protect yourself online by buying from authorized dealers, with genuine feedback and reputations.
A price too good to be true, usually is.
If you've ever searched for a product on a shopping engine (such as Priceme/Pricespy) you may have asked yourself, "Why are some stores charging so much less than other stores?"
Our customers often share these stories with us, so we thought we would share a few with you, in hopes that you don't fall prey to any of these unscrupulous sales tactics.
- Goods may be grey market/parallel imported. They may state that the product includes the manufacturer warranty, but not tell you that the warranty is valid only in Europe, Japan, or South America, and NOT in NZ.
- You may be asked to buy an expensive extended warranty. In many cases if you do not purchase the warranty, your purchase will be denied. (The product is now out of stock, your card does not go through, etc.)
- Included parts may be sold to you separately. Some resellers will open boxes and charge extra for parts that are normally included by the manufacturer.
- Hidden charges which don't show up until your credit card statement arrives, these charges only show up when your credit card statement is sent to you.
- When something goes wrong, faulty, late delivery, doesn’t matter how many times you try to email, they don’t get back.
- There are so many scamming online sellers today, “buyer beware” protect yourself!
Think you have a better price? Call us for the best deal.
Call us 09 2744515
Concerned About Fraud?
The internet has become a more popular source for online shopping, regrettably we have seen more and more instances of fraud affecting online shoppers. Companies trading under many different names, loading warranties and charging for them as extras when often they are included from the manufacturer. Parallel imports or personal imports where the NZ supplier refuses to repair when things go wrong is often alarming to the unsuspecting purchaser. Inflated freight charges, customs and GST at the border are often forgotten as a buyer is tempted by a lower price. Constantly we hear all these stories, once bitten it’s all to late looking for that refund or replacement. The stories are outrageous at times, customers from Trademe and ebay with no place to turn, time consuming and very frustrating….
So how do you protect yourself from online fraud?
- Buy from an authorized reseller. If you are at all suspicious, contact the manufacturer directly and ask if a company is authorized to sell their products.
- Make sure you get a company invoice with GST clearly marked.
- Make sure you buy from someone who has a phone number and an address on their website, not a P.O.Box number
- Read customer feedback, you can usually tell if it's genuine or not.
We hope that you will become our next happy customer. And we promise to offer you superior service before, during and after your purchase.